HISTORY REBUILT

  • Reconstructed
  • Re-imagined
  • Rebuilt
  • Scenes
  • From History

The Edinburgh Royal Infirmary   

was built in 1879 by architect David Bryce. His designs were greatly influenced by nursing pioneer Florence Nightingale
whose rationale was that large spaces and generous amounts of natural light would improve ventilation, well being
and subsequently reduce mortality rates.
Each ward was three stories high and fitted with large, tall windows.

The Infirmary relocated in 2003 and was purchased by the University of Edinburgh to house their new ‘interdisciplinary quarter’
The Futures Institute
This new development will include a public piazza, garden spaces, teaching and event spaces, lecture halls, meeting rooms, and IT hubs.
The project will restore and connect six Nightingale wards and make use of the buildings’ wide corridors for break-out areas.
Below the new public piazza there will be a multi-functional space for events and lectures.

The panoramic sequence illustrated above was commissioned to complement a tender bid put forward in order to secure the subsequent building construction work, and then at different stages through the duration of the project.

The project is planned for completion by 2021.