High Mill Alston
High Mill in the Cumbrian town of Alston was built in 1767 as a water driven corn mill by renowned engineer John Smeaton.
Smeaton is famously known for his Eddystone lighthouse.
The grade II listed mill has been through a number of alterations through the ages but the original Smeaton design is still easily recognisable. Internally there is little left of the original building besides the water wheel and the pit wheel.
To help with tourism in Alston and to record the historic importance of this building, the mill has been digitally reconstructed and illustrated within a fun and informative virtual reality tour through its history.